Sunday, April 22, 2012

Conference Championships Day 2

Thank you to everyone for informing me that I have terrible grammar skills.  I guess thats why I'm going to college

2nd Place Men C TT
Creme brulee coffee at
South Bend Chocolate
Company

Today was another great day of racing for the Ripon Red Hawks.  It started off this morning at the Econolodge hotel just outside of South Bend.  After waking up 4 times between 4:45 and 5:30 a.m I decided to roll out of bed and head to breakfast.  Good thing I always bring food because the breakfast consisted of Corn Flakes, Raisin Bran, and mini bagels.  After making breakfast I headed back to the room and got some homework done before heading to the criterium.  When we arrived, the weather wasn't looking to promising, 35 degrees with a north wind at 20mph. By 10:30 it was about 45 so I decided to keep the arm and knee warmers on for the race.  After taking a free lap we all lined up. The Marian squad was taking over the front row. I luckily got second row with Eric and Paul right behind.  Like a typical crit race a big explosion went off right from the get go.  After the first 3 turns we were headed into the wind and the pace eased up because no one wants to pull into a nasty head wind.  After making it through the first couple of laps without a hitch we rounded turn 1 and a Lindsey Wilson rider got loose and almost went down.  I was right on his wheel and almost went with him.  Good thing we both have good MTB skills. This wasn't the case a couple laps later. Again coming through turn 1 Alex, a UIC rider, slid out and I almost ran over his head. Everyone made it around him ok.  Now with 2 laps to go it was time to get into position for the finish. I was in perfect position, about 4th wheel, coming around the last turn. Eric Smith was right on my wheel. We drilled it down the final stretch and he ended up coming around me in the last 50 ft or so and took... well I don't know what he took because they didn't have him on the results sheet but I ended up 13th. Another great pack finish.  After the race I went to the South Bend Chocolate Company, I got a good portion of my paper done while sipping on creme brulee coffee and snacking on some excellent chocolate covered cashews, gotta love free samples.  After watching my buddy Leif race at 2:15pm in the men's A race we headed to the college football hall of fame for awards. 
College Football
Hall of Fame 
We only got 1 medal for the weekend and that was for the TT. Overall a great weekend for the Red Hawks. Time to get some good rest before my first Elite MTB race, Iola.

Updated Results: According to this visual evidence, provided by Ric Damm Coach of the Red Hawks, Eric took 8th or 9th.  

No comments:

Post a Comment