Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bone Ride

The Bone Ride a 160 mile ride is put on by former Tour De France racer Tom  Schuler.  We ride from his house in Wauwatosa to madison and back. You can join the ride anywhere on the route but most people start at his house or at Attitude Sports in Pewaukee.  Only knowing it was going to be a long day in the saddle I had to pack a lot of food and drink.  I had pockets full of PowerBar gelsCliff BarsCliff Blocks and a new food on the list Pop Tarts. I also tried some Enzo Button hole chamois cream. This stuff works great it has a subtle cooling affect and without it I don't think i'd be able to sit today. On the way out the pace was really moderate. We were riding at 20MPH, but since you were in a draft you do't have to work very hard at all.  We made it to madison just under 4hrs. Once we arrived we rode around the capital and headed to lunch. Myself and many others headed to Noodles & CO. After putting down a big bowl of pasta some of us rode over to a local coffee shop, just down the street from yellow jersey bicycle, and had some espresso.  We then rode over to yellow jersey bicycle got a group pic and headed home.  Just outside of madison I was riding in the lead group and all of a sudden things blew up. We were really hammering and realizing I wouldn't be able to hold this pace for another 70 miles I fell back with Ric Damm, Sam Tobias and a handful of others.  We tried to start a pace line but people kept attacking off the front trying to catch the lead group. These people quickly fell off our group and we got a good rotation going.  We made it to Oconomowoc where some stopped at a gas station to fill up on water. I kept going but had to stop in Pewaukee to go to the bathroom.  Good thing Pat Janisch also stopped because other wise I would have been on my own for the last 15miles. I pulled Pat out of Pewaukee until North Ave then he took over for a bit and we traded off pulls and slowly made it back to Tom's house. With 159 miles in my legs I rolled home and had finished up with 160.04 miles.  I came inside showered, sat down on the couch and fell asleep at 7pm.  Time to get some good R&R.  

No comments:

Post a Comment