Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chequamegon Fat Tire 40

This time of year is probably the best.  The leaves are starting to change colors, apple picking is on its way, the temperatures are cooling off etc... But another thing that makes this time great is the Chequamegon Fat Tire 40.  This race is a road race on gravel, grass and dirt roads.  Its fast, really fast.  So I new this year, with a gate 1 preferred spot, I'd have to hold back a little and not let my nerves get the best of me at the start.  I lined up behind some pretty big names like Lea Davison and local Wisconsinite's like Cole House, Mike Phillips, Matthew Bushce and previous winner Brian Matter. It was cool getting to line up with the big dogs.  When the gun went off the ATV rolled away and it was go time, well kinda. The ATV's kept the pace pretty smooth so everyone could keep up.  But once we hit Rosie's field it was go time.  Everyone battled and the field split up into different packs. This year I was riding with Chloe Woodruff, and shortly after Lea Davison but only for a bit because she flatted.  After riding through field after field I wasn't sure how much longer I could hold on and with only 1 hour 15 minutes in the legs I popped. This could have been due to many things, being sick for the past week, going to hard in warmup or the simplest answer it just wasn't my day. I tried my hardest to hang on the back but couldn't. After loosing the group I tired to eat a couple of GU and Powerbar Gels to see if that would help bring back some energy. It definitely helped because when a tandem rolled by I jumped on their wheel and they pulled me from about mile 21-34 where we caught Dallas Fowler and 1 other rider.  Those 2 guys jumped on the train but the tandem was just to strong for me and I fell off again.  I pushed my hardest to not get caught.  I almost held off a group of 3 but they were just to strong and got by.  I rolled down the finish hill and then back up to find Bill Street attacking hard from behind I stood up and tried to sprint but he got me at the line. After finishing I new I was top 60.  I was hoping for a top 30 like last year but this year was a lot faster than last.  Even though I didn't place where I wanted I still was happy with my effort and happy that I did it in about the same time as last year.  It was another fun experience racing bikes.  I gained a lot of knowledge from this race and hopefully it will help me in the future.  It was also cool to see how well the WORS pro racers did.  Even though Brian didn't win he still crushed it and took 3rd Mike Philips from Adventure 212 also destroyed it and took 4th.  Well off to another race next weekend in Missouri which is on the MWCCC calendar for Ripon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment